2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
4 to 5 large carrots, peeled and chopped
4 to 5 celery stalks, chopped
2 Granny Smith Apples, cored and chopped
10 cups water or vegetable stock
8 cups cooked pumpkin flesh or canned pumpkin puree
1/4 cup maple syrup or dark agave nectar*
2 to 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
3 to 4 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Coconut milk and cilantro, for garnish:
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in an 8-quart stockpot. Add onion and saute for about 5 minutes. Then add ginger, carrots, celery, and apples; saute 5 to 10 minutes more.
Add the water, cooked pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, covered.
Puree soup in batches. I like to have another 8-quart pot ready to go that I can pour the pureed soup into as I go. Serve with a swirl of coconut milk.
Cathy's Salsa Chicken
- ~2 free-range organic skinless/boneless chicken breasts
- ~1 container of organic fresh salsa verde (Whole Foods has a good one in their produce section)
- Put raw chicken and salsa verde in a crock pot. Add water or chicken stock so that both breasts are completely covered, but just barely.
- Cook on high for 5 hrs.
- Take chicken out onto a plate and shred with two forks. Put back in crock pot and cook for another 30-45 minutes on low.
- Great on salads or just with brown rice. Saves in fridge and reheats really well.
Risa Groux Nutrition http://risagrouxnutrition.com/