Coconut Cake with Lemon Curd
Gluten Free, Dairy Free Coconut Cake with Lemon Curd
- 1 cup of coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 8 large pastured eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of coconut yogurt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 honey
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of berries
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter or 6 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 4 large pastured eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup of organic lemon zest
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (approx 6-8 lemons)
- 1/8 teaspoon of Celtic sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and adjust the rack to the middle position. Butter a 9” round cake pan and dust with coconut flour so the batter won’t stick. Place all the cake ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour batter into buttered cake pan ad bake for 40-45 minutes or until just turning brown on top and a toothpick comes out clean from the middle. Cool for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges and invert onto a cake platter. Cool completely.
- Melt butter in a double boiler over medium heat. Whisk together honey, eggs, yolks, zest, juice, and salt in a large measuring cup. Slowly, while constantly whisking, pour in egg mixture and continue to whisk for 6-8 minutes until thick like pudding. Pour curd through a fine mesh sieve (or cheese cloth) over a medium bowl, cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until cold.
- Cut the cake in half. Spoon half of the cur mixture on top of the bottom cake layer and spread evenly. Top with 1 cup of berries. Place the second layer on top and repeat with curd and fruit.
Risa Groux Nutrition http://risagrouxnutrition.com/