- 3 Pounds ripe plum tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 Cups chopped yellow onions (about 2 small onions or 1 large)
- 6 Garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounce can of plum tomatoes with liquid
- 4 cups of fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 Teaspoon of fresh (or dried) thyme leaves
- 1 Quart of chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and Pepper to taste
- add 1/4> of crushed red pepper flakes if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss together the fresh tomatoes and 1/4 olive oil.
- Spread the tomatoes in 1 layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- In an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, sauté the onions, garlic and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes until the onions start to brown.
- Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken (or vegetable) stock.
- Add the oven-roasted tomatoes including the liquid on the baking sheet.
- Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Use a hand blender to blend thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a basil leaf (or a sprinkle of chopped basil)