Write a review
- 2 cups of lentils
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 2 celery stalks chopped fine
- 2-3 carrots chopped fine
- Olive oil
- 1 bunch spinach or swiss chard or other greens you like for soup
- Vegetable broth (chicken or beef broth works too)
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 2 heaping tablespoons of cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the chopped onion, carrots and celery in the bottom of a soup pan and sauté with a little olive oil. Cook on medium-to-medium high heat until onions, carrots and celery turn a nice golden brown. This is what gives the soup its flavor so stir frequently at this stage so that the onions brown evenly.
- When they are golden, add the lentils, broth, tomatoes and plenty of salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Roughly chop the greens and add them along with the cumin. Cook about 20 minutes more.
- Adjust salt and pepper and enjoy!
Risa Groux Nutrition http://risagrouxnutrition.com/