Nancy’s Roasted Root Vegetables with Caper Vinaigrette
Write a review
- 4 parsnips (1 ½ lbs total)
- 4 medium red onions
- 2/3 olive oil
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1 head garlic, halved horizontally
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (1 ¼ lbs total)
- 30 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons small capers
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Sea salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel the parsnips and cut into 2 or 3 segments, depending on their lengths. Cut each piece lengthways into 2 or 4. Pieces should be roughly 2” long and ½” wide. Peel the onions and cut each into 6 wedges.
- Place parsnips and onions n a large mixing bowl and add ½ cup of olive oil, thyme, rosemary, garlic, 1 teaspoon of sea salt and some pepper. Mix well and spread out in a large roasting pan. Toast for 20 minutes.
- While the parsnips are cooking, trim both ends of the sweet potatoes. Cut them (skin on) widthways in half, then each half into 6 wedges. Add the potatoes to the pan with the parsnips and onions and stir well. Return to the oven to roast for an additional 40-50 minutes.
- When the vegetables are cooked through and have taken on a golden color, stir in the halves tomatoes. Toast for 10 minutes more. Meanwhile, whisk together the lemon juice, capers, maple syrup, mustard, remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and ½ teaspoon of sea salt.
- Pour the dressing over the roasted vegetables as soon as you take them out of the oven. Stir well, then taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the vegetables in using and serve.
- Optional: Can use other vegetables such as carrot, cauliflower, beet etc.
Risa Groux Nutrition http://risagrouxnutrition.com/