Vegetarian Black Bean Chili
Write a review
- ~1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ~1 medium onion, diced
- ~1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- ~1 1/2 tablespoons oregano
- ~1 teaspoon cumin
- ~1/2 teaspoon salt
- ~1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- ~4 cloves garlic, minced
- ~3 15-ounce cans black beans, drained but not rinsed
- ~3 cups water
- ~2 bay leaves
- ~1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- ~Sliced Avocado
- ~Chopped cilantro
- In Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot heat oil over medium heat
- Add the onion, stir to coat with the oil, and cook, stirring once or twice, until the onions are translucent, about five minutes.
- Stir in the spices, salt, pepper and garlic, and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the black beans, stir to combine with the spices and onions and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Stir in the water and the bay leaves.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Now it's time to blend. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup for about one minute. It should be mostly pureed, but still with some good chunks and texture. If you don't have an immersion blender, transfer a couple ladles of soup to a traditional blender to puree then return to the pot.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro
- Serve immediately
Risa Groux Nutrition http://risagrouxnutrition.com/