White Bean Soup
Write a review
- 1 can of navy or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup coconut or grape seed oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 5 cups (40oz) vegetable stock
- 1 can (1lb) roma tomatoes with their juice
- 1 teaspoon dried summer savory
- 1teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, warm the coconut or grapes seed oil over medium heat. ~Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery and sauté until the onion is translucent (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the beans to the saucepan along with the stock, tomatoes, savory, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally until the beans are very tender, 2-21/2 hours. Discard the bay leaf.
- Transfer about half of the soup to a blender (or use a hand blender in the saucepan). Puree and place back into the pan, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serves 6-8
Risa Groux Nutrition http://risagrouxnutrition.com/